Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Encounters: Journal Post 7

Today, I was cleaning the house. I used the cleaning spray called Kaboom and did opposite of what the bottle demanded, which was to clean in a well-ventilated area. I'm usually not that careless when I clean but for some reason, I forgot to pop open the window, and well, I felt the affects.
After I finished, I felt like I had a cough that could not come out. And so, being the person I am, I decided to look up the side-effects of inhaling chemical in depth. Of course I know it's not good, but I wanted to see exactly how it effects the respiratory system.

The technical term for this feeling is chemical pneumonitis. The lungs become inflamed when chemical fumes are inhaled and cause difficulty in breathing and may lead to choking. There can both be acute and chronic chemical pneumonitis. Both show symptoms of shortness of breath, cough, and difficulty breathing. The chronic condition may lead to lack of oxygen reaching the body due to difficulty in breathing. which may lead to respiratory failure and death (MedlinePlus, 2014).

Because the respiratory system was a system in focus most recently in class, my unfortunate encounter with chemicals couldn't have come at a more relevant time.


No comments:

Post a Comment